Mar 23, 2011

amplification

Amplification is the name of our new assignment which was given to us by our resident artist BA Harrington (her blog here).  We have a few weeks for this assignment but seeing as I have an exhibition in 2 weeks, I have already began construction.  In response to my latest piece, Shingle Sofa (scroll down if you don't know what I'm talking about) I have decided to 'amplify' this concept of outdoor living space and make a few more pieces that would seemingly exist with this sofa.  I wanted to give the sofa a friend, so I have build a matching chair and sheathed it in shingles... almost finished!  Here it is thus far...  


Unfortunately I did not scout out a matching chair in the ally when I found the sofa, so I have had to construct this chair from scratch, which is actually a good thing considering the sofa was built like crap.  (Did I mention that there was a knot in the back support on the sofa which had obviously snapped).  While building this chair I realized that I was framing it out similar to housing construction (or at least what I understand as framing), which got me thinking about the other pieces that will live with this chair and sofa set.  
I am thinking about tables and lamps that will have an exoskeleton of sorts that frame out the already existing item of furniture (which I will build).  I do kind of worry about it becoming to kitschy and to similar to my studio mate, Adam's work (his blog here).  After talking with Adam a bit, I think that this can be avoided by the level of finish that is put into the work, for example not leaving textured band saw marks as he does...  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment