Oct 4, 2011

quick projects

A few weeks ago, we (my fellow furniture grads and I) were asked to show 3 photos that portrayed our summers and were then given 2 weeks to produce something from those photos.  Since most of my summer was spent in the classroom teaching children how to saw and hammer, my first photo was a snapshot of about 60 painted birdhouses lined up to dry.  My second photo was of a cat print dress that I've been obsessing over, and the third was from my recent trip to Penland School of Crafts; it was a ball of wool roving.  In a nutshell, that was my summer... pretty boring!

So what did I make from these photographs...?  Stools.  I wanted to make a furniture item that was quick and playful (in honor of kids) and that was reminiscent of the wool roving.  The cat dress doesn't fit in so well, aside from the fact that my cats would LOVE tearing apart these stools.

I shaped the seat on the CNC, turned the 10 legs on the lathe and bundled them up in some cotton piping that I've been dying to use.  Here are some process photos (excuse the poor studio shots, will post better photos in the future):


UNFORTUNATELY, today I was shown some stools that were just featured at London Design Week and they look strangely similar.  Total bummer :(  They had colorful seats that spoke to crochet and needle work (beautifully done), but only 4 legs (I personally think that 5 look better).  At least I only spent a week designing and making these or else I would feel completely defeated.

2 comments:

  1. These are great. Are they done? Are they for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours are way better. maybe you can dip-dye them or predye the cotton piping in random ways. They are perfect for the marketplace.

    ReplyDelete